Senior Systems Engineer
United States, USA | Implementation
Morgan Hunter Healthcare, a Healthcare IT Staffing and Consulting firm, is seeking a talented Senior Systems Engineer to join our team. Primary responsibilities include assisting one of our valued clients in support of their Healthcare Information System project(s).
The Senior Systems Engineer is required to possess the following technical skills and expertise:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or related field with at least four years’ experience in the systems support field.
- Applicable experience or relevant certifications may be substituted for up to two years of the education requirement.
- Technical experience should consist of work directly involved with target support environment including computers, operating systems, Intersystem database, TCP/IP communication protocols, and Storage Area Networks.
- Knowledge of various programming languages and LAN/WAN technology desired.
- Candidate must possess strong interpersonal skills and a service orientation. Experience with Epic infrastructure such as BCA, Hyperspace, and Interconnect is a desired plus
Responsibilities for the selected Senior Systems Engineer to include:
- Performs routine operating system installation/upgrade/maintenance/troubleshooting tasks for the related operating systems, Storage Area Networks, and systems software utilities.
- Works with systems hardware/software vendors’ technical support personnel to resolve system hardware/software problems. Coordinates hardware repairs and upgrades with field service personnel.
- Recommend, schedule, and performs periodic software and hardware upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases.
- Manage/maintain Enterprise SAN in a related environment. Main duties include:
- General understanding of physical architecture
- Provision disk volumes using various raid formats
- Install firmware, software updates, and patches as appropriate.
- Utilize SAN utilities to monitor status, logs, and performance
- Participate in regular discussions with application vendor regarding system tasks such as configuration, troubleshooting, debugging, and upgrade planning.
- Investigate system performance issues and work with the vendor and other I.S. staff to alleviate.
- Monitor log files on all host-based systems on a daily basis and takes appropriate action based on exceptions that are reported.
- Assists in the planning, organizing, ordering, scheduling, coordinating, and monitoring of system projects as they pertain to enterprise clusters and systems.
- Responsible for backup/recovery processes for respective systems including tape subsystems. Perform and test routine system backups and restore processes
- Advises programmers and operators on the functions of the operating system and equipment and the optimal use of each.
- Participates in needs assessment, requirements definition, and vendor selection for hardware and software solutions.
- Serves as a member of the technical project team. Meets regularly with other members of the technical team to discuss issues and provide solutions.
- Stays current with technology and certifications required to support the applications on the related enterprise platform
- Provides assistance and documentation to operations and help desk personnel on new procedures as needed.
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of Data Center resource planning, utilization, and monitoring. This includes power consumption, cooling requirements, rack optimization, and physical layout/design.
- Participates in the on-call rotation.
- Participate in Disaster Recovery planning and documentation tasks. Perform periodic DR tests.
- Required to interface with users, vendor technical reps, Department Heads, and multi-disciplinary professionals.
- Assists in establishing departmental policies, procedures, and technical standards.
- Demonstrates willingness to accept non-routine work assignments as appropriate.
- AIX (VMS) Specific Tasks:
- Manage/maintain enterprise data base in related environment (currently Caché, Oracle, SQL). Main duties include:
- General understanding of data base, including routines, globals, and namespaces
- Able to use all data base utilities to manage and monitor enterprise environments
- Provide advanced troubleshooting and performance tuning of the said data base
- Install/upgrade data base on an enterprise related equipment (servers)
- Monitor data base license usage
- Create/copy/manage multiple data base environments as needed for application support
- IBM Power Platforms with V7000 family of SAN equipment, HP VMS Platforms with related family of HP SAN equipment, PCs, printers, and other related hardware.
- AIX and/or VMS Operating system, Intersystem Cache database, utilities, editors, TCP/IP software, report generators, security systems, performance monitors, scripting languages
Windows Specific Tasks:
- Assists Security Manager with the maintenance of Active Directory. Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Proficient in all aspects of Windows Terminal Services and Remote Desktop (RDP) connectivity. Install, manage, and maintain multiple Terminal Server clusters for the enterprise.
- Install, manage, and maintain large enterprise e-mail system (Lotus Notes)
- Proficient in all aspects of Virtual server technology using VMWare. Install, manage, and maintain multiple VM clusters for the enterprise
- Install, manage, and maintain print queue support for the enterprise.
- Dell Platforms with various vendor SAN equipment (EMC, Dell, Netapp), PCs, printers, and other related hardware.
- Windows Operating system, SQL database, utilities, editors, TCP/IP software, report generators, security systems, performance monitors, scripting languages
This position requires weekly travel (Monday through Thursday) to our client site for the duration of the project.
Morgan Hunter Healthcare offers a very attractive compensation package and a full array of benefits (certain eligibility rules apply):
- Weekly Pay and Reimbursement
- Quarterly and Holiday Bonus Programs
- Paid Time Off
- Health/Dental/Disability/Life Insurance
- Referral Bonus Program
Founded in 2002, Morgan Hunter Healthcare is a Healthcare Information Systems (HIS) Staffing and Consulting firm specializing in System Selection, Assessments, Project Management, Implementation, Optimization, System Integration, Revenue Cycle, Regulatory Requirements, Legacy Support, and Go-Live initiatives for hospitals and healthcare systems across North America. Our reputation for providing quality Consultants for various vendor systems such as Cerner, Infor, Kronos, MEDITECH is built on 15+ years of exceptional results, consistently exceeding our client’ s expectations. We also provide additional value-added services for contract-to-hire and direct hire requisitions as well. Visit mhhealthcare.com today to learn more!